- Biond Magnolia Flower
- Magnoliae Flos
|Medicinal Group||Wind-cold-dispersing medicinal|
Dried flower bud of Magnolia biondii Pamp., Magnolia denudata Desr. or Magnolia sprengeri Pamp. (Fam. Magnoliaceae)
|Nature and Flavors||pungent; warm|
|Meridian Affinity||Lung, Stomach|
To dispel wind-cold and relieve nasal obstruction
Headache and nasal obstruction due to exterior wind-cold; sinusitis with purulent discharge
- A wide range of pharmacological actions of Flos Magnoliae have been reported, including anti-allergy, anti-inflammation and anti-microbial activity.
- The addition of NDC-052 , an extract of the medicinal herb Magnoliae flos, to inhaled corticosteroids had a beneficial effect on asthma control in patients with mild to moderate asthma, with good tolerability and fewer side effects.
- Flos Magnoliae volatile oil nano-liposome nasal drops has some positive effects on pediatric allergic rhinitis. 
- Xincang Decoction (composed of Flos Magnoliae) can decrease the levels of peripheral eosinophil and interleukin 5 and improve the pulmonary function in treating chronic airway inflammation in children with bronchial asthma in remission stage.
- MF extract reduced the RANKL-mediated osteoclast differentiation and bone resorption by inhibiting the activities of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) and cathepsin K in mouse bone marrow macrophages. (5)
Contraindication with blazing fire in yin deficiency
- Shen Y, Li CG, Zhou SF, Pang EC, Story DF, Xue CC. ( 2008). Chemistry and bioactivity of Flos Magnoliae, a Chinese herb for rhinitis and sinusitis. Curr Med Chem. , 15(16):1616-27.
- Park CS, Kim TB, Lee JY, Park JY, Lee YC, Jeong SS, Lee YD, Cho YS, Moon HB. ( 2012). Effects of add-on therapy with NDC-052, an extract from Magnoliae Flos, in adult asthmatic patients receiving inhaled corticosteroids. Korean J Intern Med. , 27(1):84-90. doi: 10.3904/kjim.2012.27.1.84. Epub 2012 Feb 28.
- Wu M, Zhang JY, Zhang X. (2009). Clinical observation of Flos magnoliae volatile oil nano-liposome nasal drops in treating pediatric allergic rhinitis. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. , 29(8):740-2.
- Zhu HH, Chen YP, Yu JE, Wu M, Li Z. (2005 ). Therapeutic effect of Xincang Decoction on chronic airway inflammation in children with bronchial asthma in remission stage. Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao. , 3(1):23-7.
- Jun A, Kim H, Park K, Son K, Lee D, Woo M, Kim Y, Lee S, Chung W. (2012) Extract of Magnoliae Flos inhibits ovariectomy-induced osteoporosis by blocking osteoclastogenesis and reducing osteoclast-medicated bone resorption. Fitoterapia 83(8):1523-31
- Shen Y, Pang E, Xue C, Zhao ZZ, Lin JG, Li CG (2008) Inhibitions of mast cell- derived histamine release by different Flos Magnoliae species in rat peritoneal mast cells. Phytomedicine, 15, 10, 808-814.