- Cape Jasmine Fruit
- Gardeniae Fructus
|Medicinal Group||Heat-clearing and fire-purging medicinal|
Dried ripe fruit of Gardenia jasminoides Ellis (Fam. Rubiaceae)
|Nature and Flavors||bitter; cold|
|Meridian Affinity||Heart, Lung, Triple energizers|
To reduce fire and ease the mind, eliminate damp-heat, and remove heat-toxcity from blood
Febrile diseases with restlessness; jaundice with dark urine; hematuria with difficult painful urination; hemoptysis and epistaxis caused by heat in the blood; inflammation of eyes; boils and sores; external use for sprains and bruises
- Shufeng Liangxue Decoction (consisted of cape-jasmine fruit) is effective and safe in treating hormone dependence dermatitis with the efficacy better and relapse rate lower than those of treatment with Western medicine alone.
- Tangyikang decoction (consisted of cape-jasmine fruit) could improve the function of islet beta-cell. 
Contraindicated in diarrhea and anorexia due to spleen insufficiency
Prolonged bleeding time and inhibited platelet aggregation and thrombosis 
Acute toxicity study indicated geniposide at a dose of 574 mg kg (-1) or more could cause hepatic toxicity in rats and the hepatotoxicity often appeared at 24-48 hours after the oral administration 
- Bai YS, Zhou CY, Wang JQ. (2008). Clinical observation on auxiliary treatment of hormone dependence dermatitis by shufeng liangxue decoction. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. , 28(12):1121-3.
- Xu XW, Zhang DX. (2008). Effect of Tangyikang in improving the function of pancreatic islet beta cells in patients with latent autoimmune diabetes mellitus in adults. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. , 28(10):882-5.
- Liu H, Chen YF, Li F, Zhang HY (2013) Fructus Gardenia (Gardenia jasminoides J. Ellis) phytochemistry, pharmacology of cardiovascular, and safety with the perspective of new drugs development. J.Asian Nat.Prod.Res., 15, 1, 94-110.
- Ding Y, Zhang T, Tao JS, Zhang LY, Shi JR, Ji G (2013) Potential hepatotoxicity of geniposide, the major iridoid glycoside in dried ripe fruits of Gardenia jasminoides (Zhi-zi). NATURAL PRODUCT RESEARCH, 27, 10, 929-933.
- 黃錦華 (1996)。<誤服大劑量梔子煎液致中毒1例>。中國中藥雜誌，4。
- 解黎波、趙丹秋 (1995)。<中藥梔子內服過敏2例>。中國皮膚性病學雜誌，1。