- Cassia Seed
- Cassiae Semen
|Medicinal Group||Heat-clearing and fire-purging medicinal|
Dried ripe seed of Cassia obtusifolia L. or Cassia tora L. (Fam. Leguminosae)
|Nature and Flavors||sweet, bitter; slightly cold|
|Meridian Affinity||Liver, Large intestine|
To remove heat, improve vision, lubricant laxation and relax bowels
Inflammation of eyes with pain, photophobia and lacrimination; headache, dizziness, blurred vision and constipation
- Resolving phlegm method (composed of Semen Cassiae) could effectively improve liver function and fibrinolytic status.
- Inhibit the development of diabetic nephropathy via inhibition of advanced glycation end product accumulation in streptozocin-induced diabetic rats (2)
- Extracts of CS improve myocardial function and attenuate myocardial ischemia and reperfusion induced injury and apoptosis in diabetic animals (3)
- The polysaccharides of cassia semen can be used as prebiotics to improve the intestinal microflora in piglets (4)
- Oral antioxidants supplementations (containing anthocyanosides, astaxanthin, vitamin A, C, and E, and extracts of cassia semen and Ophiopogonis japonicas) may increase tear production and improve tear film stability by reducing tear ROS; can be used as an adjuvant therapy to conventional artificial tear therapy for patients with dry eye syndrome (5)
Contraindicated in qi deficiency with diarrhea
Report on adverse effect
Causing hepatotoxicity in patients with chronic hepatitis B infection 
Irregular vaginal bleeding 
- Chen L, Jiang YK, Cai YB. (2006). Effects of resolving phlegm method on fibrinolytic status in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis patients of phlegm and blood-stasis syndrome. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. , 26(12):1090-3.
- Kim Y, Jung D, Sohn E, Lee Y, Kim C, Kim J. (2014) Extract of Cassiae semen attenuates diabetic nephropathy via streptozocin-induced diabetic rats. Phytomedicine 21:734-739
- Fu F, Tian F, Zhou H, Lv W, Tie R, Ji L, LiR, Shi Z, Yu L, Liang X, Xing W, Xing J, Yu J, Sun L, Zhu H, Zhang H. (2014) Semen cassiae attenuates myocardial ischemia and reperfusion injury in high fat diet streptozotocin-induced type 2 diabetic rats. Am J Clin Med 42(1): 95-108
- Deng Z, Zhang J, Li J, Fan Y, Cao S, Huang R, Yin Y, Zhong H, Li T. (2007) Effect of polysaccharides of cassia seeds on the intestinal microflora of piglets. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 16 Suppl 1:143-7
- Huang J, Yeh P, Hou Y. (2016) A randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled study of oral antioxidant supplement therapy in patients with dry eye syndrome. Clin Ophthalmol 10:813-20
- Yuen MF, Tam S, Fung J, Wong D, Wong B, Lai CL (2006) Traditional Chinese medicine causing hepatotoxicity in patients with chronic hepatitis B infection: a 1-year prospective study. Aliment.Pharmacol.Ther., 24, 8, 1179-1186.
- 劉禹 (2001)。<決明子致陰道不規則流血1例>。青島大學醫學院學報，4。