- Danshen Root
- Salviae Miltiorrhizae Radix et Rhizoma
|Medicinal Group||Blood-activating menstruation regulating medicinal|
Dried root and rhizome of Salvia miltiorrhiza Bge. (Fam. Labiatae)
|Nature and Flavors||bitter; slightly cold|
|Meridian Affinity||Liver, Heart|
To remove blood stasis and relieve pain, promote the flow of blood and stimulate menstruation, and clear heart-fire and remove vexation
Root and Rhizome
Menstrual disorders, amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea; mass formation in the abdomen; pricking pain in the chest and abdomen, pain in acute arthritis and subcutaneous infection; fidgets and insomnia; hepatosplenomegaly; angina pectoris
- 60 eligible randomized controlled trials indicate that Danshen dripping pill is apparently more effective than isosorbide dinitrate in treating angina pectoris.
- Regular consumption of Yun Zhi and Danshen could be beneficial for immunological functions by potential enhancement of cell-mediated immunity in healthy subjects without any adverse effects.
- Administration of Danshen Chuanxiongqin Injection before percutaneous coronary intervention could effectively inhibit the activation of platelets, improve post-operative myocardial blood perfusion, and lower the incidence of the myocardial damage.
- Compound Danshen Injection was helpful to improve the high condensation state of patients with early onset severe preeclampsia, protect important organs of the mother, and improve the prognosis of neonates.
- Point-injection of red-sage-root (Danshen) can effectively relieve the pain severity, improve the hip joint-motion function and daily life activity in ischemic femoral head necrosis patients.
- For the patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes, additional administration of compound Danshen Dripping Pill to the conventional treatment could exert beneficial effects on blood glucose controling, and lipid profile improvement and delay of arterial intima-media proliferation.
- Results suggest that Yunzhi-Danshen can exert an immunomodulating effect in alleviating lymphopenia during radiotherapy in nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients.
- The Dan-shen root with azone could be easier to permeate the skin and more effective to treat the hypertrophic scar.
- Composite Dansen Droplet Pills is a more effective drug in treating chronic stable angina
- Salvia Miltiorrhiza Composita could resist lipid peroxidation injury.
- The properties of Salvia miltiorrhiza indicate their therapeutic potential in Alzheimer's disease via multiple mechanisms.
- Salvia miltiorrhiza hydrophilic extract has a potential protective effect on the development of diabetic cardiovascular disease. 
- Early use of salvia miltiorrhiza and ligustrazine injection in severely burned patients can effectively reduce myocardial damage, thus protect the myocardium from injury.
- Fufang Danshen (Salvia miltiorrhiza) extract reduced systolic blood pressure and pulse rate, and was well tolerated in patients with hypertension.
- Salvia miltiorrhiza can treat severe acute pancreatitis patients by reducing the serum levels of interleukin-6, interleukin-8 and tumor necrosis factor-alpha. 
- The application of cardioplegic solution with Salvia miltiorrhizae in extracorporeal circulation of coronary artery bypass graft showed obvious myocardial protection.
- Danshen can effectively reduce the mortality and complications of acute pancreatitis.
- Salvia Miltiorrhiza Liguspyragine Hydrochloride and Glucose Injection was able to down-regulate the expression of platelet membrane receptors proteinase-activated receptor-1 in end-stage renal disease patients on chronic haemodialysis, improve platelet function, and regulate platelet activation. 
- Depsides salts from salvia miltiorrhiza has the effect of inhibiting the activation of vascular endothelial cells and platelet.
- Danshen and gegen adjunctive treatment in coronary patients was well tolerated and effective in improving vascular function and structure.
- Experimental studies have shown that DanShen dilated coronary arteries, increased coronary blood flow, and scavenged free radicals in ischemic diseases. 
- Salvia miltiorrhizae as a good antioxidant, could protect myocardium from repairing membrane damage and clearing away free radical.
- Salvia miltiorrhiza Injection shows an effect of promoting the absorption of traumatic hyphema. 
- Salviae miltiorrhiza injection could effectively improve the condition of patients with hypertensive cerebral hemorrhage. 
Incompatible with Rhizoma et Radix Veratri
Report on adverse effect
- Jia Y, Huang F, Zhang S, Leung SW. (2012). Is danshen (Salvia miltiorrhiza) dripping pill more effective than isosorbide dinitrate in treating angina pectoris? A systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Int J Cardiol. , 157(3):330-40. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2010.12.073. Epub 2011 Jan 19.
- Wong CK, Tse PS, Wong EL, Leung PC, Fung KP, Lam CW. (2004). Immunomodulatory effects of yun zhi and danshen capsules in health subjects--a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study. Int Immunopharmacol. , 4(2):201-11.
- Wang R, Han QH, Jia YP. (2011). Effect of danshen chuanxiongqin injection on the myocardial damage of unstable angina patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. , 31(7):899-902.
- Tong CX, Xing XF, Qiao SH. (2012). Clinical effectiveness assessment of compound danshen injection on early onset severe preeclampsia patients. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. , 32(4):482-5.
- Zhang HF, Zhang SY, Liu JM. ( 2009). Effect of point injection of red-sage-root on the hip joint function in ischemic femoral head necrosis patients. Zhen Ci Yan Jiu. , 34(1):57-60.
- Liu D, Tang JY, Yan L. (2010). Effect of compound danshen dripping pill on arterial intima-media thickness in patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes mellitus. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. , 30(12):1265-8.
- Bao YX, Wong CK, Leung SF, Chan AT, Li PW, Wong EL, Leung PC, Fung KP, Yin YB, Lam CW. (2006). Clinical studies of immunomodulatory activities of Yunzhi-Danshen in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma. J Altern Complement Med. , 12(8):771-6.
- Chen J, Han CM, Dong HL, Qi FZ, Chen GS. (2004). Evaluation of a compound with dan-shen root and azone for scar treatment. Zhonghua Zheng Xing Wai Ke Za Zhi. , 20(3):219-21.
- Shi YH. (1997). Comparative study of composite danshen droplet pills and sordi in treatment of patients with chronic stable angina. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. , 17(1):23-5.
- Jiang ZS, Zhang SL, Cai XJ. (1997). Effect of salvia miltiorrhiza composita on superoxide dismutase and malonyldialdehyde in treating patients with non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM). Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. , 17(1):32-4.
- Zhang XZ, Qian SS, Zhang YJ, Wang RQ. (2016). Salvia miltiorrhiza: A source for anti-Alzheimer's disease drugs. Pharm Biol. , 54(1):18-24. doi: 10.3109/13880209.2015.1027408. Epub 2015 Apr 10.
- Qian S, Wang S, Fan P, Huo D, Dai L, Qian Q. (2012). Effect of Salvia miltiorrhiza hydrophilic extract on the endothelial biomarkers in diabetic patients with chronic artery disease. Phytother Res. , 26(10):1575-8. doi: 10.1002/ptr.4611. Epub 2012 Feb 8.
- Ding LT, Zhu YG, Gu ZQ, Cai LL, Peng JL, Lü GZ. (2012). Effect of salvia miltiorrhiza and Ligustrazine injection on the early myocardial damage of patients with severe burn. Zhonghua Shao Shang Za Zhi. , 28(3):170-2.
- Yang TY, Wei JC, Lee MY, Chen CM, Ueng KC. (2012). A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study to evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of Fufang Danshen (Salvia miltiorrhiza) as add-on antihypertensive therapy in Taiwanese patients with uncontrolled hypertension. Phytother Res. , 26(2):291-8. doi: 10.1002/ptr.3548. Epub 2011 Sep 2.
- Peng GL, Zhang XY. (2007). Effects of Salvia miltiorrhiza on serum levels of inflammatory cytokines in patients with severe acute pancreatitis. Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao. , 5(1):28-31.
- Ma LJ, Sun SX. (2011). Myocardial protection of cardioplegic solution with Salvia miltiorrhizae in extracorporeal circulation of coronary artery bypass graft. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. , 31(10):1328-31.
- Zhang XP, Li ZJ, Liu DR. (2006). Progress in research into the mechanism of Radix salviae miltiorrhizae in treatment of acute pancreatitis. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. , 5(4):501-4.
- Li Y, Shen L, Chen R, Li J, Lu FR, Qin Y, Liu JG. (2011). Effects of Salivae Miltiorrhizae Liguspyragine Hydrochloride and Glucose Injection on the levels of main platelet thrombin receptors in chronic haemodialysis patients. Chin J Integr Med. , 17(8):625-30. doi: 10.1007/s11655-011-0826-8. Epub 2011 Aug 9.
- He ZB, Jin LY, Chai XP, Zhang DS. (2010). Effect of depsides salts from salvia miltiorrhiza on functions of platelet and vascular endothelial cell of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in acute exacerbation stage. Zhongguo Wei Zhong Bing Ji Jiu Yi Xue. , 22(5):279-81.
- Tam WY, Chook P, Qiao M, Chan LT, Chan TY, Poon YK, Fung KP, Leung PC, Woo KS. (2009). The efficacy and tolerability of adjunctive alternative herbal medicine (Salvia miltiorrhiza and Pueraria lobata) on vascular function and structure in coronary patients. J Altern Complement Med. , 15(4):415-21. doi: 10.1089/acm.2008.0400.
- Ji XY, Tan BK, Zhu YZ. (2000). Salvia miltiorrhiza and ischemic diseases. Acta Pharmacol Sin. , 21(12):1089-94.
- Meng XC, Hou JC, Jiang Y. (1992 ). Salvia miltiorrhizae in the treatment of the viral myocarditis. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. , 12(6):345-7, 324-5.
- Zhang L, Ren L, Zhang J, Dai HQ. (2008). Observation on the effect of Salvia miltiorrhiza injection in treating traumatic hyphema and the opportune time for its application. Chin J Integr Med. , 14(3):221-4. doi: 10.1007/s11655-008-0221-2. Epub 2008 Oct 14.
- Yu W, Shen F, Ma Z. (2000). Observation of therapeutic effect of Salviae miltiorrhiza and cytosine diphosphate-choline injection on patients with hypertensive cerebral hemorrhage. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. , 20(2):94-6.