- Eucommia Bark
- Eucommiae Cortex
|Medicinal Group||Yang-tonifying medicinal|
Dried stem bark of Eucommia ulmoides Oliv. (Fam. Eucommiaceae)
|Nature and Flavors||sweet; warm|
|Meridian Affinity||Liver, Kidney|
To tonify the liver and kidney, strengthen the tendons and bones, and prevent abortion
Deficiency condition of the kidney marked by lumbago and lack of strength; threatened abortion; hypertension
- The standardized Eucommia extract reduced blood pressure and has beta-adrenergic blocking activity.
- The extracts of Eucommia showed anti-hypertensive, anti-complementary, anti-oxidative, and anti-gastric ulcer effects, and promoting collagen synthesis, accelating granuloma formation, and other pharmacological effects.
- Qiangji Recipe (consisting of eucommia bark) combined Celecoxib Capsule showed better effect in treating axial undifferentiated spondyloarthritis patients than using Celecoxib Capsule alone.
- Bushen Qiangdu Recipe (consisting of eucommia bark) showed significant effect in treatment of ankylosing spondylitis. 
- Greenway F, Liu Z, Yu Y, Gupta A. (2011). A clinical trial testing the safety and efficacy of a standardized Eucommia ulmoides Oliver bark extract to treat hypertension. Altern Med Rev. , 16(4):338-47.
- Deyama T, Nishibe S, Nakazawa Y. (2001). Constituents and pharmacological effects of Eucommia and Siberian ginseng. Acta Pharmacol Sin. , 22(12):1057-70.
- He MY, Fan FY. (2015 ). Adjunctive treatment of axial undifferentiated spondyloarthritis by Qiangji Recipe: a clinical study. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. , 35(1):37-40.
- Wang H, Yan XP, Kong WP. (2011). Effect of bushen qiangdu recipe on osteoporosis and bone loss of patients with ankylosing spondylitis. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. , 31(4):471-5.