- Germinated Barley
- Hordei Germinatus Fructus
|Medicinal Group||Digestant medicinal|
Dried germinated ripe fruit of Hordeum vulgare L. (Fam. Gramineae)
|Nature and Flavors||sweet; neutral|
|Meridian Affinity||Spleen, Stomach|
To move qi to promote digestion, invigorate the function of the spleen, and regulate function of the stomach, and stop lactation
Poor appetite due to deficiency of the spleen; galactostasis. Stir-baked, germinated barely is used for indigestion; weaning of baby
- A study showed that the consumption of germinated barley foodstuff may reduce the level of serum tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α), interleukin-6 (IL-6) and -8 (IL-8) in patients with ulcerative colitis (UC). 
- Germinated barley foodstuff appeared to be effective and safe as a maintenance therapy to taper steroid dose and prolong remission in patients with ulcerative colitis.
- Germinated barley foodstuff can reduce the clinical activity of ulcerative colitis over long-term as well as short-term administration.
- Oral Germinated barley foodstuff therapy may have the potency to reduce clinical activity of ulcerative colitis.
- Germinated barley foodstuff promotes defecation, produces bacterial short chain fatty acids, especially butyrate, without adverse effects, and is a safe foodstuff for humans.
- Faghfoori Z, Navai L, Shakerhosseini R, Somi MH, Nikniaz Z, Norouzi MF. (2011). Effects of an oral supplementation of germinated barley foodstuff on serum tumour necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin-6 and -8 in patients with ulcerative colitis. Ann Clin Biochem. , 48(Pt 3):233-7. doi: 10.1258/acb.2010.010093. Epub 2011 Mar 2.
- Hanai H, Kanauchi O, Mitsuyama K, Andoh A, Takeuchi K, Takayuki I, Araki Y, Fujiyama Y, Toyonaga A, Sata M, Kojima A, Fukuda M, Bamba T. (2004). Germinated barley foodstuff prolongs remission in patients with ulcerative colitis. Int J Mol Med. , 13(5):643-7.
- Kanauchi O, Mitsuyama K, Homma T, Takahama K, Fujiyama Y, Andoh A, Araki Y, Suga T, Hibi T, Naganuma M, Asakura H, Nakano H, Shimoyama T, Hida N, Haruma K, Koga H, Sata M, Tomiyasu N, Toyonaga A, Fukuda M, Kojima A, Bamba T. (2003). Treatment of ulcerative colitis patients by long-term administration of germinated barley foodstuff: multi-center open trial. Int J Mol Med. , 12(5):701-4.
- Kanauchi O, Suga T, Tochihara M, Hibi T, Naganuma M, Homma T, Asakura H, Nakano H, Takahama K, Fujiyama Y, Andoh A, Shimoyama T, Hida N, Haruma K, Koga H, Mitsuyama K, Sata M, Fukuda M, Kojima A, Bamba T. (2002). Treatment of ulcerative colitis by feeding with germinated barley foodstuff: first report of a multicenter open control trial. J Gastroenterol. , 37 Suppl 14:67-72.
- Bamba T, Kanauchi O, Andoh A, Fujiyama Y. (2002). A new prebiotic from germinated barley for nutraceutical treatment of ulcerative colitis. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. , 17(8):818-24.
- Kanauchi O, Iwanaga T, Mitsuyama K. (2001). Germinated barley foodstuff feeding. A novel neutraceutical therapeutic strategy for ulcerative colitis. Digestion. , 63 Suppl 1:60-7.
- Kanauchi O, Mitsuyama K, Saiki T, Fushikia T, Iwanaga T. (1998). Germinated barley foodstuff increases fecal volume and butyrate production in humans. Int J Mol Med. , 1(6):937-41.
- Mitsuyama K, Saiki T, Kanauchi O, Iwanaga T, Tomiyasu N, Nishiyama T, Tateishi H, Shirachi A, Ide M, Suzuki A, Noguchi K, Ikeda H, Toyonaga A, Sata M. (1998). Treatment of ulcerative colitis with germinated barley foodstuff feeding: a pilot study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. , 12(12):1225-30.