- Medicine Terminalia Fruit
- Chebulae Fructus
|Medicinal Group||Astringent medicinal|
Dried ripe fruit of Terminalia chebula Retz. or Terminalia chebula Retz. var. tomentella Kurt. (Fam. Combretaceae)
|Nature and Flavors||bitter, astringent, sour; neutral|
|Meridian Affinity||Lung, Large intestine|
To astringe the intestines and lung, downbear fire, and soothe the sore throat
Protracted diarrhea with hematochezia or prolapse of the rectum; chronic cough with sore throat and hoarseness
- Terminalia chebula mouth rinse is effective in reducing microbial plaque, gingival inflammation and neutralizing salivary pH.
- Terminalia chebula may prove to be an effective anticaries mouthwash owing to its ability to increase salivary pH and inhibit Streptococcus mutans. 
- Treatment with Terminalia chebula for a period of 24 weeks in hyperuricemic subjects has shown a significant reduction in serum uric acid levels when compared to baseline.
- Gupta D, Bhaskar DJ, Gupta RK, Karim B, Gupta V, Punia H, Batra M, Jain A, Agarwal A, Singh P. (2014). Effect of Terminalia chebula extract and chlorhexidine on salivary pH and periodontal health: 2 weeks randomized control trial. Phytother Res. , 28(7):992-8. doi: 10.1002/ptr.5075. Epub 2013 Oct 10.
- Nayak SS, Kumar BR, Ankola AV, Hebbal M. (2010). The efficacy of Terminalia chebula rinse on Streptococcus mutans count in saliva and its effect on salivary pH. Oral Health Prev Dent. , 8(1):55-8.
- Usharani P, Nutalapati C, Pokuri V, Kumar C, Taduri G. (2016). A randomized, double-blind, placebo-, and positive-controlled clinical pilot study to evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of standardized aqueous extracts ofTerminalia chebula and Terminalia bellerica in subjects with hyperuricemia.Clinical Pharmacology : Advances and Applications, 8, 51–59.